As an electrician and electrical contractor in Covington, we see wasted energy every day. Most people don’t even realize the energy they are wasting in their homes. Energy wasters are easy to fix, and you can save money when you get to the root cause. Saving energy lowers your electric bill, helps with the life of your appliances, and helps protect the environment.
Saving Energy in Your Home
Here are some tips that can help you stop wasting energy and put a few bucks back in your pocket. Implement these helpful tips:
- Adjust your thermostat. Many people set them too high or too low.
- Unplug appliances and electronics not in use. This drains more energy than you think.
- Change your HVAC filters often. Monthly during peak heating or cooling periods is recommended.
- Set your electronics for standby or sleep when you are not using them.
- Avoid taking long showers. Turn the water off for things like shaving and back on to rinse off.
- Use the right light bulbs for the fixtures. Use the proper wattage and buy energy-efficient bulbs.
- Turn your water heater settings down. Most people have it set too high.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. It works just as well as hot water, in most cases.
- Don’t use more energy than you need when cooking.
- Don’t run the dishwasher unless it is full. You waste electricity and water when you do this.
- Turn lights off. When you leave a room, remember to turn off the lights. This is one of the most common energy wasters.
These tips can help you save on energy and money when practiced. If you need electrical work done in your home, contact In-House Electric at (425) 399-8673. We are an electrician and electrical contractor in Covington that can handle all your electrical needs.